This page has the following resources to help you with Transportation Service in Spokane County
Driver Licensing and Car Registration
You can use this link to find licensing offices that offer testing, car registration, license/ID distribution, and other important services. After you choose a city, you’ll find the contact information, address, and operating hours of each location along with other updates on service availability.
Wait times for walk-ins can be very long and some offices may currently be closed, so making an appointment at the office you want to visit is strongly encouraged. To schedule an appointment with a DOL office, you will need to provide:
- The reason for your visit
- The service you need
- The location you will visit
- Your appointment date and time
- Your name, phone number, email address, and additional notes if you require accessibility accommodations including translation services
Licensing Offices in Spokane County
- 9107 N Country Homes Blvd Spokane, WA 99218
- Phone: 509.482.3882
- Fax: 509.482.3889
- 12801 E Sprague Ave Spokane, WA 99216-0700
- Phone: 509.921.2358
- Fax: 509.921.2361
Driver Training Schools
Licensed driver training programs will offer instruction that meets the State of Washington requirements. Some locations even offer testing services so you don’t have to schedule an appointment at a DOL office. A complete course must include:
- 30 hours of classroom instruction (maximum 2 hours per day)
- At least 6 hours of practice driving (maximum 1 hour per day)
- At least 1 hour of behind-the-wheel observation
Links for some driver training schools and services in Spokane County:
Buying and Insuring Personal Vehicles
The link above takes you to the primer breakdown for finding and purchasing the right car. As long as you purchase a car from a dealership in Washington State, they can take care of transferring the title for you. You can even look for cars in different cities to see if you can find better or more affordable deals.
Links for buying cars in Spokane County:
- Find Local Car Dealers (Autotrader)
- This site allows you to search for local dealerships based on their zip code. This is a great resource for researching the price and availability of cars. Some cars may not be listed, so you can call or visit a dealership to find out what they have available.
Tip: When buying cars online, be cautious about ones being sold by private sellers through things like Craigslist. There are fewer policies in place to guarantee the quality of the car.
The link above takes you to the primer breakdown for car insurance and some agencies that provide it. Local insurance agencies sometimes work directly with specific insurance companies, but some provide the service of shopping for auto insurance for you. Searching for highly rated insurance companies in your area and asking for a quote is a great place to start. Remember: you must carry your proof of insurance with you while driving!
Links for finding car insurance in Spokane County:
Lowest Average Rates
Spokane Transit manages the Connect Card system, allowing you to pay for transit from participating agencies with a single tap! Once you create a Connect Account you can add funds, manage your card, or use your smartphone wherever you would use your Connect Card.
Links for Connect Card services:
- Get a Card In Person or By Mail
- Create a Connect Account
- You will need to provide your first and last name, an email address, a memorable password, and two security questions to access your account if you forget your information.
- You can check your card balances, add funds, report your card lost or stolen, and set up an autoload feature to reload your card automatically.
Spokane Transit offers over 15 bus routes throughout the region. Starting July 15, 2023 they will also be operating the City Line Rapid Transit system focusing on providing transit in the downtown Spokane area.
Links for Spokane Transit’s bus services:
These bus routes offer public transportation from Spokane to Kettle Falls, connect other more rural parts of the state, and a route around the Seattle area.
Links for Travel Washington’s bus services and rail connections:
- 221 West 1st Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201-3704
- Phone: (800) 872-7245
Amtrak maintains nationwide rail lines from coast to coast. The Empire Builder line offers service directly in Spokane County. You can also connect to other lines and travel to many destinations across the country.
Links for Amtrak’s train services:
Vanpool programs can be very cost-effective for groups of people commuting to work in the same area. Starting a vanpool requires an application process, licensed driver, bookkeeper, and communication channels between riders to schedule rides. If you are interested in these programs, talk to your neighbors and others who are interested to learn about the program together!
Links for Spokane Transit’s vanpool services:
- Spokane Transit Commute Finder
- Find an Existing Vanpool
- Estimated Vanpool Fares
- $60 per month if traveling within Spokane County
- $80 per month if traveling to Kootenai or Stevens County
- $100 per month if traveling to any other county
- Vanpool Application Materials
These apps allow you to schedule rides to your destination from your phone! Taxi service that allows you to call for a ride is also included below.
Links for various rideshare services operating in Spokane County:
Bikes and Scooters
Many areas maintain designated bike lanes for commuters to use on roadways. Motorized bike and scooter rentals can also be used in these lanes for short trips (while obeying road safety laws). Always wear a helmet and stay aware of your surroundings.
Links for bicycle routes, trip planning, and rental programs in Spokane County:
As a pedestrian, you will have access to public trails, paved sidewalks, and the numerous public transit options available throughout the county. Walking with a group of two or more is a good way to keep yourself safe when traveling. Stay aware of traffic to keep yourself and those around you safe when crossing or walking near roadways.
Links for pedestrian trails and safety in Spokane County:
– All Images by pch.vector on Freepik